Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Film storage

  1. #1
    royalbox
    Guest royalbox's Avatar

    Post

    A quick question if I may. Do you wind film onto reels emulsion side up, down, or doesn't it matter?
    Thanks for your help.

  2. #2
    royalbox
    Guest royalbox's Avatar

    Post

    Thanks c_77.
    I ask this because the diagram in my editor manual has the film coming from the bottom of the reels and up over the rollers (for rewinding). If I do this the sprocket holes of my films -- emulsion side down -- are on the wrong side. If I turn the film over then the film doesn't go over the rolers because it's too high. It probably doesn't matter but I thought I'd check if there was an official way or whether long-term storage would be affected. I know that sound recordings on tape are stored a certain way so that any bleed-through becomes a faint echo after the sound and not before which would be more annoying. Any other comments welcome.

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ March 05, 2003 01:13 PM: Message edited by: royalbox ]</font>

  3. #3
    Inactive Member c_77's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 20th, 2001
    Posts
    200
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The film is almost always replaced with the emulsion side down; after being put through a projector etc. However, I have read it is best to store sound striped film with the sound strip facing outward or the emulsion side out...but i don't do it. Maybe i will when i store the film for an extended period.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •